V Café Recipe: Squash & Chickpea Redang Curry
To celebrate World Vegan Day, chefs Nick and Ian from V Café share their scrumptious Squash & Chickpea Redang Curry recipe. The perfect winter warmer, we guarantee this dish will become a firm favourite!
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 6 people
- 1 whole butternut squash (peeled and diced)
- 2 red peppers (cut into strips)
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 300ml vegetable stock (cube is fine)
- 1 stick lemon grass (finely chopped)
- 60g fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 3 red chillies (de-seeded)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 2 tins of coconut milk
- Fresh coriander
- Peel and dice the squash and cut the peppers into strips.
- Make a paste with the ginger, lemon grass, chilli and garlic by blending them in a food processor – add a little oil to help bind.
- Fry off the squash in batches and put to one side.
- Using the same pan fry off the onions. When the onions are translucent, add the paste and cook out for a few minutes. Be careful to stir to avoid sticking.
- Add the spices to the onions, put back the squash and add the rest of the ingredients (coconut milk, chickpeas, vegetable stock and peppers).
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the squash is tender.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Finish with chopped fresh coriander when serving.
Note; if you want more heat add dried chilli to the recipe.
Serve with either rice or thick noodles.
We love to see your culinary creations! If you give our Squash & Chickpea Redang Curry a go, make sure to take some pictures and tag us @guildfordinstitute on Instagram.